2017 HMI Report shows home builders growing, profitable
The 2017 UK Housing Market Intelligence Report was released in October. The eagerly awaited report is published by Housebuilder Media in partnership with Home Builders Federation and NHBC. COINS is proud to be a sponsor of the HMI report.
The report covers a broad range of topics critical to home builders, such as:
- Economic factors influencing outlook for UK housing market
- Analysis of turnover, margins, and growth rates
- Use of analytics to predict market shifts and buyer preferences in advance
- Trends in buyer type, including mortgaged movers, mortgaged first time buyers, and cash buyers
- Private completions by type of home
- Age distribution of home buyers
- Planning for land use and housing
The report reviews the annual performance of the nation’s Top 75 Home Builders. Turnover among this year’s Top 75 rose 18%, topping £32 billion. The number of homes completed climbed more than 7%. Operating profits increased 21%.
Home builders using COINS OA were well represented on the Top 75, making up nearly half of the builders and accounting for two-thirds of the turnover and operating profit, and more than 70% of completed units.
According to the report, most indicators suggest the industry’s financial condition is solid. The report cited several macro-level issues to watch. One is that housing gets drawn into political policy discussions because it is so important to people and it is the nation's largest physical asset. Another is the potential impact of Brexit on the housebuilding workforce, particularly those who are employed by subcontractors.
This is but a small sample of the wealth of analysis and data the HMI report contains. The report can be ordered at https://www.house-builder.co.uk/publications/hmi
- home builder